Skip to main content

Arrrrrrrgh!!


This is not far from how my reaction was yesterday when I tried on a wig. The first one I tried on I absolutely hated and wanted it off immediately. The lady told me to keep it on for a while but I couldn't, It looked ridiculous. She could sense I wasn't happy. It sat on top of my head and was so obviously not real. It reminded me off when I was young and used to dress up, we had this awful wig I'd put on. She brought me more to try but I wasn't being convinced in the slightest. I guess having short hair now and having got used to it now, was quite bizarre to then look at myself with long hair.

I tried on a real hair wig as there was no way I could wear a synthetic one. It felt a lot better but still so hard to tell as they were all cut in certain styles that I didn't like. I'm a fussy bugger and I knew that if I couldn't get what I wanted I wouldn't bother at all. I would probably have to buy a plain one and get it cut into the style I like. Its so hard to tell when you haven't got it the way you want straight away.

They are not cheap either and hoping the NHS will pay quite a bit towards it. I am sure its something that takes a little while to get used to but at the moment I feel like I'd rather go without and wear scarves. Then again Im sure I'll think differently when my hair does go.

I wanted a long and short one but I don't think that's feasible with the prices being quite high. I know that even when I do have my hair back I will still miss having long hair and it would be great to be able to have it again. I do love having short hair but head banging when your at a rock night doesn't quite have the same effect!

I still haven't found out when my next chemo date is so going to have to do some chasing. With Christmas coming up its something that needs sorting quite urgently.

I finally had a creative day today and started making some Christmas presents. I had a few battles with the sewing machine, with thread and pins everywhere I got there in the end! The more things I made the better they were so it will have to be a toss up as to who gets my first shoddy creation!

My older sis Katie, brother in law and two nieces are moving down tomorrow. It'll be great having them around. Evie and Alice always put a smile on your face!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey,

At first, when i came across your Blog, ive got to be honest i thought it was a strange thing to do.. To keep a diary of what your going through, at at first read, maybe i was reading because of that facination.. but after reading a couple (and especially this one) i think its brilliant, and a real insight into the actual practicalities of living with cancer (especially at an early age).. I really dont want this to sound patronising at all, ao i hope it doesnt, but after reading it i just wanted to say something.

Hope you are well, Gren. x
Maria said…
You are a very beautiful person inside and outside, and i am sure that you will be a very happy person one day soon, you will overcome all this. I would love to meet you in person, whenever you want to come to Bilbao, you have a place to stay, honestly, you will be very welcome. I hope you are well too, Maria. x
Unknown said…
I have been following your blog from the start, as we both have a friend in common..... your wonderful hairdresser Jenny is my daughter-in-law's sister! I agree with you, she's fantastic!!
Just wanted to say well done for your brave decision to start this blog in the first place, I'm sure it has helped many others like you who until now have felt quite alone in their trials.
Keep well & have a great Christmas & New Year.
PS
The best solution to the wig problem would be to get one you feel ok in & let Jenny cut it the way you want it done. Who better to ask?!
Jen xx :)
Anonymous said…
Don't worry yourself hon... just buy a wig of a colour that you like and let me do the rest.

I will be in Leices till around the 6th of Jan so try to get one before then.

Love you beautiful.
x

ps. I am just fine thanks x

Popular posts from this blog

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging. The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant. This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days. "Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long." I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and desponde

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance