Skip to main content

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging.
The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant.

This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days.



"Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long."

I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and despondent. I kept waking up last week wishing I was still asleep. Now I know that sounds bad and normally I would link that feeling with depression but that's not how I felt. I'm not sure if it was just because I had a lot of sleep to catch up on or whether I was genuinely happier while sleeping but the feeling was different from being depressed. Maybe it was because I was somewhere different in my dreams and have been craving a change of scenery.

A girlfriend asked me to go out on Saturday night. At first I jumped at the chance of a night out, after all I had not been out properly since my birthday in August last year. When it got to Saturday I was umming and arring all day, mainly because I wasn't sure if it was a bit too soon to be going out drinking. I decided that I could really do with a good night out and was bored of being stuck in all the time anyway.

It took me a while to get ready. I must of tried my whole wardrobe on. When it comes to getting ready I am a real perfectionist and get easily frustrated if somethings not quite right. My mum said I was like this even at a very young age. If my socks were odd I would have to have a right paddy and I even used to colour coordinate my outfits. Well this time I had a paddy because my short thinning hair didn't look right with my look, I couldn't get my fake eyes lashes on right at the first, third or forth attempt and when I drew my eyebrows on I felt ridiculous. Also not everything fits the same anymore because of losing weight. I don't necessarily expect men to understand this but I'm pretty sure you girls do.

I do feel like I shouldn't moan and I feel I'm being ungrateful when I say things like "I miss my long hair" and "I wish I had my eyelashes back." I know they will grow back and my hair will be long again in a few years and it doesn't matter how many times someone says to me you look beautiful. I just want someone to agree with me. For the first time today someone actually did and she said 'God, you're right. Long hair was you and it must totally suck.' I was so glad to hear this because I don't moan to get attention or a reaction out of anyone, like most people I just want to moan now and then.

So after my mammoth dressing up session I finally made it out. I must admit I was pretty nervous at first and it took a good 2 large vodkas to make me feel a little at ease but I can totally see the difference in my confidence right now. I was coping just fine with my friend but as soon as we met up with her boyfriend and his friends I felt incredibly anxious and did not feel ready to be overtly social with some new people.

I am feeling incredible vulnerable, insecure and emotional. I do not feel myself at the moment and in a social situation this feeling is heightened. Of course alcohol does not help one bit and I think I may not have been ready for a night out.

It takes a lot for me to admit these things and I feel like I am really baring my soul when I write some of these posts. But I am doing this so that people who have not gone through what I am going through can really understand and more importantly for anyone that is going through the same as what I am, can relate to it and not feel alone like I do.

When I write a post like this I often get comments and emails from people who have had cancer saying they felt the same way and that its still early days. Its great to hear that it is just part of the experience and I will regain my life back soon.


Im off to Glastonbury with my best friend this weekend to celebrate the Spring equinox. It will be my first trip away and I feel a very appropriate one too. I'm hoping to retrieve some of my energy back and feel rejuvenated.



"It is a time to focus on personal growth and renewal. We renew our thoughts, our dreams, and our aspirations."

Comments

belinda said…
darling i too felt all these feelings you are feeling right now. im not gonna lie to you .it takes a while to get back to normal.im in a good place in my life now. its taken me four years to get here.reconstruction played a big part in my recovery.my worst feeling was guilt. i felt i should be greatful to be alive . but i didnt and guilt nearly took over. i was strong and i kicked its ars.do go out and have fun .dont let cancer beat you. cuz if it can spoil the way you live ya life its won. so go on darling get that fire in ta belly and kick its ars . im sending you loads of love and strenth love bee xxxxxxx

Popular posts from this blog

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance