Skip to main content

To go flat or not flat, that is the question.

I finally had my appointment with my surgeon to discuss my implant options and it didn't go quite how I expected. Leading up to the appointment I had decided I wanted safer implants put in for the time being as I didn't feel quite ready to go flat yet. I figured I'd get on the waiting list and have surgery in about 6-9 months. I'd come home in the new year, work, save, have the surgery and head off again.

My surgeon went through my options and it wasn't as simple as I'd hoped. One common problem with breast implants is the development of capsular contracture, a condition in which the scar tissue that forms around the implant becomes hard. Scar tissue is the body's natural response to the presence of any foreign body. With breast implants, the body creates a barrier of scar tissue around the implant to wall it off and protect it from the rest of the body. This is called a capsule.

What I didn't realise is that this capsule makes the surgery far more complicated and painful. I thought it was as simple as whipping the old implants out and putting the new ones in... but no. The capsule has to also come out if I want to eliminate all risks of getting ALCL (Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma). I could do this but then the new implants would develop a new capsule which would then need to be removed if I decided to go flat at a later date. This was sounding like potentially too much surgery, I'd rather not go through anymore surgery than is absolutely necessary. I could obviously have new implants and leave the old capsule in but my risk of ALCL would still be there; although currently she says there's no evidence. That's the problem - this is all fairly new, so there's not been enough research done for there to be any statistics. It's obvious to me that these textured implants can cause cancer and I just don't want to risk it.

There seems no point with getting new implants without taking the capsule out. There also seems no point in getting new implants and having the capsule removed and then having to have the implants replaced every ten to fifteen years for the rest of my life.

So I asked her about going flat. As well as my implant I also originally had an LD flap reconstruction. To explain - a latissimus dorsi flap procedure is an oval flap of skin, fat, muscle and blood vessels from your upper back that is used to reconstruct the breast. This flap is moved under the skin around to the chest to rebuild the breast. I asked her if any of this could be saved which would then leave me with something. She answered with exactly what I wanted to hear - yes. This was great news. I didn't know anyone that had had this done and no idea what it would look like. If I had some fat on me I could have had some taken from elsewhere and put it with the remaining reconstruction. I'd then have a more realistic breast but unfortunately I don't that extra fat on me. Maybe I should eat lots of donuts and pancakes while I'm in America! The lump would be tiny and possibly not look like a breast at all. My reconstructed nipple is quite big and I can imagine that It could end up looking like a pubescent breast.

So there are my options. She told me I'd already had a lot of surgery and any more unnecessary surgery wouldn't be a good idea. My last two operations didn't go well and I had complications with both. My body doesn't cope well and I don't deal with pain very well either. To top that off I hate morphine and would put up with the pain rather than the horrible nightmarish feeling it gave me. After going through all my options, she told me to go away and think about it and come back in the new year - my next appointment is booked for February 2020.

So in the meantime I will head off and enjoy my time in America. I feel I've come along way in the last few months, which I will explain in my next blog post. I want to be sure I'm mentally ready to go flat, but I'm all too aware that I need to change my current implants sooner rather than later.

Comments

Dad said…
You'll look fabulous whichever route you choose. Particularly on Route 66!
Mum said…
How did dad do that ? I'm going to get him to do this post for me! He's absolutely right- you will look beautiful whatever you choose to do x
Vicky said…
I love reading your blog posts and watching your adventures on Facebook.
What ever path you decide to take you will always be beautiful and inspirational.
Enjoy your new adventure x

Popular posts from this blog

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging. The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant. This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days. "Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long." I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and desponde

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance