Skip to main content

A 'C' word I do like..


Creativity!Add Image
I need to start being creative again. I had to give up my dressmaking course in Brighton and was due to start a pattern cutting course in January. It seems so unfair that having cancer has stopped me from doing that. I did start on the last term of a dressmaking course in Leicester when I got back from traveling. I loved it! Apart from my photography I stopped being creative which is criminal if you have talent. Not that I thought I was particularly amazing at anything. I never had the confidence to pursue anything creative I did because I didn't think any of it was good enough. Its awful not believing in yourself. It helps having support and encouragement which I never had much of. School and college wanted me to push my academic subjects. It infuriates me why they don't push you at what your good at and not what your not good at.There are enough academics in the world. The world need creative people too otherwise we would be living in an extremely boring and dull place.

We wouldn't have music to dance to, art to admire, exciting fashion to wear, books to read, films to watch.... need I go on! I'm very disappointed in myself for not ignoring all those who told me to take more academic subjects to keep my options open. What options? What, just in case I want to be a doctor or a lawyer? Yeah right! Because I certainly didn't need A levels to work in a call centre or an office. Was it just the schools and college I went to or is it like that everywhere? I find it shocking that your not pushed at what you excel at. Doesn't it make sense?


I'm a typical struggling creative type, but I don't exactly help myself either. I need a kick up the arse, motivation, encouragement and support. I don't want to use that and school as an excuse anymore though as now its up to me to sort myself out. I hope that when I've gone through this experience that I will have gained some confidence, self esteem and be able to do it all by myself.


I have always been interested in fashion. At a young age apparently I was perfectionist as young as 5! I colour coordinated everything and if my socks didn't match I would go mad. Can't say I'm still like that though!



I used to love going to fancy dress parties so I could design and make my own costumes. That way it didn't matter if my outfit looked outrageous or badly made. I could look as ridiculous as I wanted and no body cared. I remember at high school we had a couple of bin liner fashions shows. We had to design, make, and model our creations. I loved it! I won the first one and came second in the other.


I never wanted to really do a fashion design degree. For one I didn't think I would be good enough and I also hated the superficial and lovey world that went with it. I knew if I was to become a designer I wouldn't want to be designing for today's fashion trends. Ive never followed fashion, I like what I like and I couldn't give a damn if its last season or not. It just so happens that the vintage fashion is very cool and all the decades as far back as the 30's all come back into fashion at some point or other. So I'm sure I do look like I follow trends at some point.


Its great knowing if I cant get my vintage fix that I can turn to the high street store and pick up a cheap imitation throw away dress to keep me going.


Anyway back to what I was saying. I need to start being creative again before my soul starts slowly deteriorating. I need to start painting and drawing again. Ive not done anything really since college and that's because my art teacher put me off. None of us really liked her. I think she was a bitter person. Probably because she didn't make it as an artist so became a teacher and made art students life a misery instead. Its funny how I pursued photography though, my teacher was lovely and always praised me and told me I was good enough to take it further.

Even though I loved fashion I didn't liked taking photos of the material world. I preferred photographing the natural world. I have two sides to me a bit like a yin and yang, a good balance. I love the calmness and beauty of the natural world but also love the exciting and glamorous fashion world. I like to incorporate the two in fact. Bringing nature into fashion and fashion into nature.

I modeled on and off for a few years but never particularly enjoyed it. I found fashions shows nerve racking but incredibly exciting. The photo shoots I did not enjoy so much. I only ever did it because I was told I could. I wanted to give it a go as the glamour and money appealed to me at the time but I never seemed to get on with it. The only time I did was when I was modeling for a friend or a doing shoot in the outdoors. Modeling vintage clothes in the outdoors... now that's when I'm in my element and can model well because I am being me. I was never any good at pretending to be anything else, even if I did struggle being myself. I guess that's why I was quiet. It was easier then trying to be something else I wasn't.




One day I would love my own boutique. Not an easy thing to do especially at the moment with the recession going on. I wouldn't do it for the money or want to be a famous designer. I'd be more then content, being creative and selling my designs to people who loved them. The feeling of seeing someone try on and love something you created would be so satisfying and make me more then happy. I've thought about having an online shop as it is cheaper having no over heads but it seems so impersonal. I like to meet people, help them one to one. I like the tactile nature of having your own boutique. Seeing someone really pleased and feel good about themselves in a new outfit that you have created is what I want.

If I was to own my own boutique I certainly wouldn't be one of these snooty owners either. There is one shop I love as it is full of vintage treasures. I love their stuff but not their staff. I say staff but its pretty much the owner. She makes you feel like you've been dragged in off the streets with no money to spend. I hate how people judge you on your appearance. Even if I had lots of money I would still dress the same. I would just have a wardrobe so huge I could dress and thousand theatre productions. I certainly wont buy there, its over priced anyway.

Anyway I'm digressing again. The good thing about this time right now is that I HAVE time! Its hard to do what you really want to do if you've got to work in a soul destroying job just to get by. You lose your will and your confidence, your not inspired by anything, It can be hard to push yourself especially if your anything your like me!

I don't have to do a job I hate right now and I have time to inspire myself. I can be creative again. After all I was not put on this planet to waste what talent I was given.

I am going to get back on the dressmaking course in Leicester. I'm certainly not going to let this disease take over and stop me from doing the things I love.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Good news! My daughter is 7, artistic and loves designing fashion, creating amazing arts and is composing her own music. Her school has done nothing but encourage her, they keep an eye open for all the local art festivals etc and help her with creating entries and let her stay late after school when she wants to use the paints etc. Her teacher even stays a little later to give her time to finish up, with no complaint. Just because they see her artistic potential. So YES, some schools are open and willing to help in any way they can when they come across an artistic student :-)
Emily said…
That's good to hear! I think i was very unlucky at the schools I went too. I'm sure times have changed now also. I will certainly encourage my kids to do what ever they want to do!
Anonymous said…
The other "C" word can be quite creative at times!

Seriously though, keep going with the dress making, hopefully Ill get discount when you launch the boutique!! Love ya x
Anonymous said…
Ames by the way... you prob guessed! x
Anonymous said…
Your writing is very creative! There are not actually that many people in the world that can tell a story, especially one with such depth! Your writing is something that is such an inspiration to others and that is something that you must never give up. Half of the battle with health is to think and be positive. I wish you all the best for the future but so not give up and do not stop doing what you love! x
Anonymous said…
Hey emily you should deffinately carry on you dress making and I can take photos of your designs for your boutique.So go for girl you've got lots of time on your hands so you can focus on the things you enjoy the most if you want a hand with anything let me know as I've also studied btec fashion and made clouthes at college. love lots hun love your photography friend lucy : )
Hill said…
It is actually a great and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

24x7 Direct's website

Popular posts from this blog

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging. The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant. This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days. "Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long." I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and desponde

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance