Skip to main content

Post Op



It seems like its been ages since I came out of hospital, 7 weeks in fact. I stopped writing in my diary so do not remember an awful lot.

It felt great to be home again and to be in my own environment again! I slept like a baby and enjoyed no interruptions. Joe's cooking was great compared to the hospital food. In fact his cooking is very good anyway, one of the things I love about him. I would say the way to my heart is defiantly through my stomach!

The only down fall about being home alone though was all the time I had on my hands. I ended up looking up all sorts of things to do with the treatment I was going to be having. I would get myself into a frenzy about it. Looking at all treatments all at once seemed too much to bare too! You really do have to take each step as it comes and to try and not look things up on the Internet or you can never see the light at the end of the tunnel.

A few days later I found a little lump underneath my wound and totally freaked out. I thought it may have been the port from my expander.  I went to see a doctor and he said it was probably a pocket of fluid. It did disappear after a few days so was very relieved. Its quite scary coming out of hospital and not knowing whether some things are normal or not. 

I did not like wearing the elastic support band as it was quite uncomfortable and did not wear it all the time at first. When I looked on the breast care website and read that some peoples expanders had moved about, even into their armpit I made sure I wore it.

My mum and sister came down for a few days which was lovely and kept me occupied. We went for my Post op appointment and all was to be expected really. The doctor confirmed the  size of the tumour and that the cancer had spread to the 2nd tier of lymph nodes. I would defiantly need the rest of the treatment that they had already suggested.

I did have a huge lump under my arm where the fluid was building up which is called a seroma. This was very normal and had it drained. It was a goo job I couldn't feel a thing because the size of the needle was like I have never seen before! I'm sure my mum was sitting the other side of the curtain worrying! I was quite surprised when she said she wanted to have a look at my wound. I happily showed her and I think she was surprised at how good it looked too.
I had to start to doing physio twice a week as I could not raise my arm fully. It was hard and frustrating at first but got easier. I still have got full use of my arm but it is a lot better.

I went to see the plastic surgeon in East Grinsted and he was very pleased with the results. I had my seroma drained. It felt great not having a lump under my arm. I was really pleased to hear that I did not have to wear the elastic support band too as it added to the pain. Its great they get you to wear it as it keeps the expander in place while breast tissue is growing around it.

 Joe and I went to the Hastings bonfire night which is 2 weeks before Guy Fawkes night as it is more of a pagan tradition. I was very nervous about being out and about in the crowds so we went up on the hill and watched the fireworks from there. My wound still hurt especially when I walked so walking up the hill was really uncomfortable. I was worried that I was over doing it.

I love animals and hear that they are good to help a fast recovery. I love going to Joe's parents house to see their cats and dogs. Mims and Mitzy are my favourite. Mims is a whippet cross who is so funny because she has a brain the size of a pea! Mitzy loves me which is apparently odd as she only loves Joe's mum. Nell the other dog is very sensitive to whats going on her around her and Ginge the other cat is the handsome one of the bunch.


I went back to Leicester for a bit. Everyone I saw could not believe how well I was doing. I was coping so well and after the pain had gone the surgery was not bothering me one bit. I surprised myself at haw well I was coping. I was ready to be a mess and to have to see a councilor about it. I thought I would not want Joe to see me or come near me but that was not the case either. It helped that the surgeons had done such a good job but I also realised that there was no need to be insecure. After all I had not changed as a person, I was still me with or without my breast.

I tried to enjoy the rest of the time I had before my chemo. I knew that this part was probably going to be the toughest!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its good to hear the knitty gritty of what you have been going through, its easy to forget that the little irritating parts are prob the worst- like not being able to sleep is horrible!
Love ya butterfly eyes. Ames xx

P.S, That cat is one cool customer, a flat cap and a Cliff Richard mug!!
sarahlou said…
I've just stumbled across your blog and am amazed by your honesty and your outstanding ability to cope with what must be such a difficult time. I am sure that your words will pass on such hope and strength to other people in similar situations.

As a GP trainee your blog will help me to understand the emotional rollercoaster that patients of mine have gone/will go through. You highlight the parts of your journey that have troubled you most and have shared how your feelings have changed as the days have gone by.

I have a belief that things always work out in the end. So if things haven't quite worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Keep strong and thank you for sharing so much. Wishing you all the best.

Sarah,Notts
Ummie said…
I read your writing with butterflies fluttering in me.
I wonder how you can express yourself sooo well.

Popular posts from this blog

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging. The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant. This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days. "Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long." I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and desponde

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance