Skip to main content

Life begins now!

It has been a long time since I last wrote a post for my blog and I feel like so much has happened. Where to begin?! Well after I finished my treatment I had lots going on which was such a great thing. If I hadn’t much happening then I think I would have easily got down like I did after my chemo finished. I was going to London every week for the Prima shoot and the Samsung shoot. They both went so well and I enjoyed them very much. Having you hair and make up done and photos taken was a real confidence boost that I needed. I have appeared in the August edition on Prima magazine where you can still vote for me or you can text PRIMA EMILY to 83088 or call 09016555123. If I win I get to stay in a luxury spa hotel for 3 nights.


I had college interviews at Leicester, Hastings and Worthing College for BTEC and the Foundation degree in Fashion design. I worked really hard by doing a sketchbook full of drawings and ideas. I really enjoyed it, as it had been a long time since I had sat down and drawn. I had a tough time deciding which college to go too, torn with my love of the south and the good reputation Leicester has. In the end my decision was made for me when I found out I got on the foundation degree in fashion and costume design at Leicester. This was ultimately the best course out of all of them and I was over the moon when I found out.

A couple of months previous I came down to Brighton to look for work. I had decided I wanted to spend the summer down there for a number of reasons, one being getting my independence and individuality back again. I walked round all the lanes looking for work. Ideally I wanted a job in a boutique down the North lanes, somewhere with a fun and chilled atmosphere. There were hardly any jobs going and I handed in my CV into shops I knew I would not want to work but I thought I could not be picky. There was just one shop down the North lanes called Get Cutie that did have work going so I crossed my fingers and hoped I would get that job.

I had not heard from anyone for a while, which was actually a good thing as I would not have been able to start work until June anyway. I received a call from the owner of Get Cutie and arranged an interview for the week after. I had my interview which went very well and I found out I got the job a week later. I was so happy; it seemed like the perfect place to start working in again after having such a long break from work. I started a week later and love it.

The move to Brighton seemed to happen so quickly and I did not even have a chance to say goodbye to all my friends. It was very emotional leaving. I had never felt this sad leaving my family before. Joe had come to pick me up which made it a little easier for me. My lovely friend Katie very kindly let me stay with her. I have now been in Brighton for two months now, which has already gone so quickly. I have loved working at Get Cutie. It’s been a very cool place to work and everyone has been so lovely. I will be very sad to leave.

When I first moved down I was back up to Leicester three times in the first month. I had not stopped for four weeks and felt absolutely exhausted. I was a little worried and knew I needed to slow down. After all I was doing so much so soon after my treatment had finished.

Both my granddads were ill in hospital and both got increasingly worse and worse. It was quite unexpected for one of them as he had always been so well for his age. Pop was a fighter and lived on for longer then expected. On Fathers day I got a call from my mum telling me Grandpa had died and then later on that day my dad called to say Pop had also passed away. Inevitable I was very sad but I also could not believe they both died on the same day, especially Fathers day.

The funerals were a week later and I went back up to Leicester once more. It was a painful train ride up after having food poisoning the night before. I must say it was way too soon to be feeling like that again as it was like how I felt after chemo only a lot worse. It was the first funeral I had even been too. It hadn’t sunk in that my grandparents had passed away but when the coffin arrived it hit me.

The next time I was back up in Leicester was for the Race for life. My mum and sisters Katie and Liz also did it with me; I was used as a case study for cancer research and was interviewed for the local BBC news. It was good fun and there was a great atmosphere. There were thousands there, it was amazing to see how many people have been touched by cancer but very sad that so many people had been affected too. It was very sad to read whom everyone was running for.




A while ago my mum had read about an opportunity to stand on a plinth in Trafalgar Square. It was a project that the Sculpture Antony Gormley was doing. He was giving thousands of people an opportunity to stand on the plinth for an hour and use their time however they want. My mum applied and heard back saying she had a slot. She was quite nervous about doing it and was not sure. I told her that if she did I would be extremely proud of her. Well she had to do it after that!

Mum said she wanted it to be about me so she used breast cancer awareness and my blog as a theme. She dressed up in white and pink and planed to make pink ribbons and throw them into the crowds. She also had a big banner with my blog written on it. I thought this was a great idea.

The day came and I as well as my dad and two sisters Katie and Loo went to support her. My sisters had made these T-shirts saying that my mum. A great idea as we got lots of attention. My mum very bravely got craned up onto the plinth and stayed up there for an hour. Luckily the rain stayed off and the sun came out for her. She made breast cancer pink ribbons and throw them to people. So many people came up to me and my sisters asking what it was all about so we told them about me and why wanted to create awareness. Everyone thought it was a great idea.

It went down so well that Sky arts were interested in doing a little story about it and we all got interviewed and it appeared on Sky arts on the Friday. This was very exciting. It did not happen to many people so we were very happy that they were so interested. It was a fantastic day. I was very proud of my mum!





As well as all that I have been trying to plan my 30th birthday! At first I was going to have a mini festival but it ended up being way to stressful and time consuming to sort out not to mention expensive. Instead I have organised a nice little intimate party and am very excited! I decided I really should treat myself to a holiday seeing as I went straight back to work after my treatment and I am about to start college soon. As I have always wanted to go to California and didn’t have the funds to do so after my treatment finished I booked myself a flight to LA and am planning on travelling around for 3 weeks. I’m so excited! I will also get to see some friends that live out there too. It will be just what I need.

So I think that's about everything! As you can see I have been very busy and I have so much to look forward too! Despite having a tough time with cancer I have definitely not let it ruin my life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love you Em X

Ames x
Kerry Jo Jo said…
Hi Emily

I can't believe I saw you at the race for life, I stood next to you in the loo queue just before it started, you prob saw me staring, sorry, just couldn't believe it was you lol.. I myself had pre breast cancer cells and had to have a mastectomy last november, luckily not had to have any radio or chemotherapy..... My mum also had breast cancer 5 yrs ago and had to have a lumpectomy and radiotherapy... Sooo glad you're getting your life back together and planning a trip you'll really love, wishing you all the best and lovin reading your blogs, take care love Kerry xxxxxxx

Popular posts from this blog

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging. The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant. This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days. "Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long." I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and desponde

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance