Skip to main content

The futures bright


So after a hellish few weeks of waiting I finally got my MRI results back. They showed no sign of rupture or cancer! This was great news, just what I needed the hear. Slightly baffled as to why Miss Shah thought there was a leak though. I could now relax a little and not panic. The last 5 weeks have been so hard, and after too much time to think I managed to talk myself out of going flat, (for now at least). After talking to more ladies about going flat, I felt so confused as to how I thought I might cope. The older ladies who were married, were very comfortable in their own skin, and had very supportive, loving partners. I met a younger girl who had just had breast cancer and gone flat on one side, but was thinking of reconstruction, she also had a partner. I felt like this was a journey I was going to have to take alone, and that scared me. I was starting to wish I had a loving partner to go through all of this with. Since all this has happened, its brought back a lot of horrible memories I thought I'd forgotten and put behind me. No one wants to relive their cancer memories. The decision for me, especially if not a forced one, is not an easy to make. In fact I'm not all that great at making decisions when given a choice in most situations. To most people it would seem simple - health before vanity. I totally agree and do want that, but its the timing I'm not sure about. I'm not totally settled, about to head off on my travels and begin a new life, and Im not in a loving relationship. Going through this started to make me feel lonely, despite being surrounded by friends and family, and better then I had 11 years ago actually. Essentially I will be losing my breast all over again, and this time it will feel more real! My mastectomy was easier to deal with than I thought. This was because I woke up with an expander in, which gave me a small lump, and then I had my reconstruction. I never woke up flat, and therefore don't think I ever grieved losing my breast.

I spent the rest of the day feeling highly relieved, and decided that I was finally going to go on my trip. I'd give myself a break from all this, and hope that while I'm away I will come to a decision. I know what I should do, but I just need to make sure I'm strong enough to do this on my own. I thought, well, I've two years left of these current implants, and now I know they are ok maybe I will get them sorted at a later date.

That evening however a friend messaged me reminding me that I still have the highly toxic implants in that are banned in some countries. I couldn't believe this had slipped my mind. How the hell could I forget this!!! This was partly the reason I was getting them checked out. My brain had been totally scrambled from the last month, that I wasn't thinking straight. This made me mad again! That evening I'd heard two awful stories about these implants, and I got another insensitive comment from a friend. I felt pissed off and upset again, and went to bed thinking I couldn't cope with all of this. I woke up the next day with a heavy head and wondered if I shouldn't be so open on social media. Even though I was doing it to to create awareness, as well as it being therapeutic, there was a downside to it with people giving their opinions. This would knock me back a little and piss me off, especially if it was an opinion off someone who hadn't been through what I had. I wondered if maybe I was just too sensitive to do this. I bumped into someone the next morning who made me feel better by saying how important it is to speak out. I love when things like that happen. It's like the universe gives you a little gift to remind you that your doing the right thing and not to worry. I do worry about being too open on social media sometimes and what people think, but my openness has helped other people and thats all that mattered to me. Being vulnerable and opening up to the world can be scary. I write my posts and then sit back and think, oh god what am I doing, do people think I'm attention seeking or even slightly narcissistic. That word seems to get thrown around a lot now since social media, with people not actually knowing the real meaning of it. Before social media I had decided to write about my cancer experience after not finding any positive stories, or being able to find younger women to talk who'd gone through the same as me.

I finally got my surgeons appointment date, which isn't till 25th Sept. I was hoping to go away sooner, but thought this is ok as it gives me more time to save and sort my stuff out and plan for the trip. With all of this going on, it had completely thrown me off track, and so needed to get back on it. I'm feeling positive about the future again, I've no doubt I will be ok and things will finally work out. I'm so excited to head off and go on adventures, not having to think about this and to be able to write about travels instead of cancer and implants.

I've got my 40th to look forward to now, another huge milestone. Quite strange because my 30th was a huge celebration after finishing all my cancer treatment that year. So this happening before my 40th is very weird but a great reminder gat I've reached another milestone and I'm still alive and cancer free!! It's only going to make going away even more amazing for me.


One last thing before I sign off for a while, (I had written another post on the pressures of being a woman to look feminine, but will save that for when I'm back.)
I feel incredibly cheeky doing this, but people do it all the time for all sorts of reasons and so thought why the hell not. I created a Go fund me page to raise some money for my travels! I'm having to buy a new Laptop and camera also, so the funds will be greatly appreciated. I'm asking friends and family for money for my birthday instead of presents. I've been working and selling all my belongings to raise as much as I can. Link is below Thank you! xxx

https://www.gofundme.com/f/travel-writing-career-dream?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Or you can buy one of my Save the Tata’s T-shirt’s I designed last year for breast cancer awareness. 20% goes towards a breast cancer charity Hello Beautiful.
www.forestelfvintage.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging. The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant. This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days. "Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long." I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and desponde

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance