Skip to main content

A trip to the hospital

After being in bed for a few days last week I felt well enough to get up. On the Thursday I went into Leicester for the cancer research - race for life launch. I had photos taken and spoke to a journalist and appeared in the Leicester Mercury the next day.

My sleeping pattern had been all over the place for a while and was making me feel really crap. Friday night I started to feel very unwell again. The next day I felt even worse and had to stay in bed. I was annoyed as I had arranged to see a friend I had not since since last July and it was also a beautiful day. I opened all my windows so that I could get some fresh air. It really felt like spring was on its way that day. I was gutted not to be able to enjoy it by being outside.

Joe came up later that day to bring my stuff up from Brighton. I had lost my appetite completely and I know someone is wrong when that happens. Joe had brought up a my favourite pasty from Hastings which I had to eat whether I was hungry or not.

I spent most of the day snoozing. It got to about 8 o'clock and I realised I had not been taking my temperature. In fact I had lost my thermometer and told mum. Mum managed to find it, good old mums eh! So I took my temperature and it was a little high. I had been told that if you get a high temperature you should ring the hospital.Being a Saturday night we all thought perhaps we should leave it till the morning. However, I had been taking Ibuprophen and this can mask your true temp.

I had a quick look on the Internet and came across a condiditon called Neutropenic sepsis. It can come on quite rapidly but is usually worst 7-14 days after chemotherapy.The condition develops when low white blood cells, especially the type which fight bacterial infections called neutrophils (neutropenia) do not cause any symptoms until an infection develops. It can be life threatening if you do not get yourself to the hospital so I knew then I had to call them.

They told me to make my way in and to bring an over night bag as I might have to stay. Joe took me in and we ended up having to wait quite a while as he the doctor had just been called out on an emergency. Another lady had come in at the same time with a temperature too. We waited to get our blood taken then waited till about half one in the morning to get the results. They told me I was neutrppenic and had to stay in hospital. The other lady was lucky enough to go home.

I was pleased when they took me to a private room. The doctor examined me and explained everything. She told me I could be in for five days. I was not too pleased to hear that but knew I would be better off there. I was put on a drip and by this time it was around three in the morning. I was tired and felt terrible and did not get to sleep till about 4. I was then woken up at 6 in the morning to have my antibiotics through a drip. I was hoping I could get some rest but then I was taken to get a chest X-ray.

It was the other side of the hospital and a porter wheeled me over. I was waiting for my X-ray and there were a few people in there looking a little worse for wear. Two girls looked like they had been out and looked like they had got beaten up. One old lady looked like a corpse and another lady was in serious pain. My name was called and I went in. When I stood up I felt like I was nearly going to collapse. I waited for a bit for the porter to come back and get me, I felt awful, I thought I was going too pass out.

Finally I got back to my bed and was offered a cooked breakfast which I passed on. the food was absolutely disgusting and not fit for a dog let alone cancer patients. A doctor came to see me and said that next time I should have the booster jab for my white blood cells. I told her that I normally do and I had forgotten to ask about it. The doctor looked through my notes and saw that the oncologist had in fact prescribed it for me and there was even a letter to be sent to the district nurse to come out two days after my chemo. This meant someone had not doe their job and because of this my blood levels got so low and I ended up in hospital. I was so annoyed that this could have been avoided.

My parents and Joe came into visit. The visiting hours were long which was great. So had company all day.

When Joe had left a nurse came in and said I had to move to the ward. I was gutted to be moving to a ward with other people but someone needed it much more then me. I found out it was a friends dad who had not long to live after battling cancer for 3 years.. I felt incredibly sad. Nobody should have to go through that. I send all my love to his family.

I did not get much sleep that night. Hospitals are not very relaxing places. There is always so much going on and the snoring does not help either!

I think I must of got three hours sleep. Again I got woke up at six to have my antibiotics. A night nurse then comes round with the the day nurses to tell them who you are and what is going on and then its breakfast, so you can not even get a couple more hours sleep in. I had my bloods taken again and waited for the results, hoping I would be able to go home. I did not hear anything till quite late and unfortunately my blood levels were still too low but the nurse said there it was still possible I could leave the next day.

My vein was killing me and was swollen from where I was having fluids put in. I asked the nurse to change to cannula and she was reluctant to do it and first. She decided to put the next lot of antibiotics in regardless which annoyed me and when I shouted out in pain she then changed it.

I was getting really bad headaches every time I got up and found out this was because I had low blood pressure. The headaches were so painful but disappeared once I laid down. There was not much I could do about it either.

That night a lady in the ward was snoring like a walrus and again I did not get much sleep. I was desperate for a good nights sleep and knew I was not going to get one till I got home. Its impossible to even try and sleep early as there is too much going on.

I was waiting for the doctor to come and tell me I could go home but I did not get the news I wanted. She said I was still neutropenic and it was best I stayed in. I thought well I can handle just one more day but after that I had to go home.

I had my bloods taken again. My bloods were going up which was a good sign.

I got to speak to some of the other women on the ward. Each one had different types of cancer which had spread and were going through a really tough time of it. It made me think hope really lucky I am to only be going through what I am and that it could be so much worse.

The next day I finally got the news I was waiting for. I could leave! I had to wait for my prescription of antibiotics before I could leave though. Someone else needed my bed so I had to wait in the daycare room. My older sister had surprised me with a visit which was great and then another friend came to visit. Mum and dad came about half three to pick me up but I was still waiting for my prescription. We did not get to leave till just before six.

I was so glad to get out of there and to go home back to my bed and some proper homemade cooking. I had the best nights sleep ever. I slept a whole twelve hours! I am feeling a lot better now.

So not quite the last few days I was expecting. I guess it was a change of scenery for a while though and the experience was no way near as horrible as when I had gone in to hospital down south for my surgery and the nurses were a lot more friendly too.

So my last chemo is next wednesday. I am so pleased and am nearly over the worst now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Roll on next wednesday night! Then we'll celebrate with a meal and the cinema!
Nearly there .......... well done Em!
Lots of love
Mum xxxx
Anonymous said…
Hi Emily

Thanks for sharing your week.
good luck with the last treatment.

Jemma
Unknown said…
Wow, this takes me back to last year. I didnt have cancer but had some weird lung thing which rendered me in hospital for 9 months which was no fun. The important thing is to fulfil your day, occupy the minf with other things away from this environment, escape.

You be good and take care ok.
think happy thoughts

Dez
Lisa said…
Thanks Emily, my mum has just been diagnosed with it and your blog has given me an honest insight on what to expect - go girl, be proud of yourself, you'rre doing magnificent x

Popular posts from this blog

Spring has sprung

I am so happy that the sun is shining and spring is on its way because at the moment I am my happiest sitting out in the natural elements taking in the new spring air. I feel it is appropriate timing that I am finishing my treatment and will be starting to live my life again when Spring is emerging. The Spring equinox begins this weekend, when night and day stand in perfect balance. The Spring Equinox represents new life and growth. The lethargy of winter is dissipating and there is the promise of life becoming more exuberant. This equinox is also known as Ostara or Eostre - and is celebrated as a festival of new growth, renewal, a re-balancing of energies and the return of longer days. "Goddess of fertility and new beginnings, we take this opportunity to embrace Eostre's passion for new life and let our own lives take the new direction we have wanted for so long." I mentioned in my last post the last chemo being bittersweet and how its left me feeling alone and desponde

My new puppies!

Well what a week I have had! I have had my breast reconstruction and am now back home recovering.I was very anxious and excited at the same time about having it done. It was great to think finally I will get my boobs back but I had no idea how they were going to turn out and I had to trust in my surgeon that they would look great! My body was changing again and it was quite a scary feeling. The recon went very well and I am very pleased with the results. It took me a while to look down at my chest, I was worried I was not going to like what I saw. At first glance in hospital I freaked out because not only was the right breast about twice the size of the left one but they were also pointing side ways rather then straight on. I hated being back in hospital, it brought back all the horrible memories of when I was last in to have my mastectomy. Even though I was in for a positive reason it was still hard. Being in pain, coming round from the anesthetics and being on morphine is a massive

Cancer Survivor day

Today is cancer survivor day so what better day to write a post update. It's been six months since I last wrote and in just six months a lot has happened.  Firstly I want to say if you are a cancer survivor then well done! You did it! You beat the big C, the biggest shit of all shits! If you are fighting cancer right now then I send out so much love to you right.  Keep fighting and stay strong and positive and know that you can kick its arse!  I feel like a cat who has nine lives. I honestly didn't realise how lucky I was to be alive until I got two messages off friends who had lost their friends to breast cancer and had exactly the same type as me. I've always been a little laid back about stuff in the past and was convinced I was invincible like most young people do and even today I still have to remind myself how lucky I actually am to be here today. Even when I had cancer I was never scared that I wouldn't beat it. I'm not sure if that's a bit of ignorance